Zero Waste Posh Cereal



On Saturday during Rosy's ballet class I usually run errands, do the groceries, read a book, have a nap in the warm car, chat to the other ballet mums. But this last Saturday I headed to my favourite wholefood shop, looking to find a package-free replacement for our posh cereal. To explain, at our house there is a choice of rice pops, cornflakes, Weet-Bix, and porridge. So yes, the very small range of cereals where sugar is not the first ingredient.  So when I add a wheatflakes-plus-fruit/nuts/seeds type cereal (whatever is on sale) it seems very posh by comparison to the alternatives.

I discovered that cornflakes are available in bulk, but the rice pops are made from brown rice. I will maybe try them when we run out and see if there is wailing and gnashing of teeth. I have no idea how to replace the Weet-Bix. I don't think it will happen. The Boy inhales it at all times of the day.

I then ran up and down the bins with my (reused) brown paper bags, filling them with gourmet cereal ingredients. The final mix is very yummy, although interestingly not as sweet as supermarket cereal. Could it be that they dip their wheatflakes in sugar syrup or something awful? Highly likely. The new-look waste-free cereal is also more expensive. That is because I maybe probably definitely got a little carried away with the gourmet ingredients. I could probably get away with less macadamia nuts, and add more sunflower seeds instead. Maybe.

Just a note. I already tip all my cereal into matching plastic containers. I am that person. Really, because then the children can't complain about the generic-brand rice pops. And because children destroy cereal packets when they open them themselves... so no, I didn't go out and buy brand new plastic containers to put my plastic-free cereal in.. not saying I never would, just that I didn't.

Comments

Do you have recipes for your cereal mixes? I hadn't thought of doing homemade cereal, but what a great idea for reducing packaging. My boys eat a lot of cereal, and it's all the low sugar kind, I'm pleased to report (finally, I have something I'm pleased to report!), but I'd love to get away from the packaging.

By the way, are there any books or blogs you'd especially recommend with great ideas for reducing waste, going greener, what have you? I'd really like to focus on that sort of thing this summer.

frances
Jo said…
Frances, I just made this one up as I went along. I looked at the components in my bought cereal and tried to replicate it. The one thing I would recommend is a bit of oatmeal (that is, finely ground oats, not American porridge oats!)which coats the fruit and binds everything together a bit. I used coconut meal this time, which worked well too. If I put a search function on the blog, I could work out where the granola recipe is that I posted a few months ago. That is always yum.
I'll maybe post some blogs/books later in the week. Would love suggestions from others as well.
Happy summer! (as I write on a freezing, dark morning..)
Heather said…
I used to make my own cereal mixes from the bins at my market. I can't eat nuts, but I would mix together wheat flakes with other types of cereals (oaty and rice), in addition to dried fruits to give my morning bowl a more interesting of texture.

The problem was that I would eat cereal all throughout the day. I love cereal and milk so much that if there is any in the house and I'm home all day, I can't stop eating it. Now I don't buy it anymore. Food addictions. For some people it's beer, for others chocolate, for me it is (was) cereal.

Your post is making me hungry.
Jo said…
Sorry to be enabling your addiction Heather! I have children who eat cereal all day long, and I do feel I have to put my foot down sometimes and make them eat fruit, or something to fill them up. Still, as addictions go, there's a lot worse..
Jo said…
PS For me it's sunflower seeds. I eat them by the handful. And add sultanas if I need a sweet treat. I think I was a hamster in a former life.
Lucindasans said…
We're not a big cereal family here. Bread being our addiction. Though growing up I loved cereal - the more sugar the better. Loved Fruit Loops - all that colour and sugar!!! And coco pops. Also loved Weetbix with Cornflakes mixed together with warm milk and sugar. Makes me sick now to think about it. Mr Sans has muesli every morning, mixing p quick cook oats, bought toasted muesli and dried fruit. He's had the same mix for over 20 years.

Can't see that brown rice rice bubbles will be a good swap! I will be interested to hear if your kids are a healthy, herbal bunch.
Jo said…
Healthy, herbal bunch, ha ha ha...
Jo said…
Frances, I have just worked out the search function. If you enter the search term 'muesli' (Australian for granola) it comes up in the post The Post Christmas Economy. Seriously, the best ever..
Anonymous said…
I just spent 5 days with my (adult) daughters...they have gone from screaming for froot loops to making their own muslie. I think it's something about living on their own that makes them suddenly think about what they are eating and that completely takes the challenge out of fighting for their junk food rights. I surreptitiously checked out their cupboards and they were stacked to the brim with quality foods. I guess the old saying "with age comes wisdom" might just be true! You have that to look forward to ;)
Jo said…
What a lovely surprise for you Fran! I do see an enormous difference between my older and younger children, maturity-wise, and in their food choices.. so I know I can hope..
Anonymous said…
I love the idea of sleeping in the warm car! I've been trying buckinis - some wonder food from the co-op bulk bins. Last week I had chocolate with goji berries, this time caramel. I add it to 'boring' oats/porridge.

I bet there's recipes out there for wheat bix.... Oh and all my bulk items (flours etc) are also in plastic. It's too heavy otherwise
Jo said…
The idea of making weet-bix as well is making me wilt...

Popular Posts