Blue and Golden Days

I am really not a big fan of summer. Being hot makes me grumpy and unpleasant to live with (yes, I know we live in Tasmania, and that the mercury reached 32C er, once this year. But that is quite hot enough for me. You cannot imagine how grumpy I used to be in Adelaide in summer. Or the two years we spent in Broken Hill... in the end we moved to Tasmania mainly so that The Man would hear a civil word or two directed at him between November and March). Being hot and grumpy and having half the house pulled down around me made me even more unpleasnat to live with. Although having a very large hole in the front of the house is probably better in summer. But the Noise! (I feel like the Grinch here) and the endless layers of plaster dust and dirt coating every surface...we are about half way through our epic project (at some point we thought it would be amusing to tear half the house down and rearrange all the rooms so that almost every room would eventually become a different room...), but now, for a few weeks there is a blessed hiatus of peace, because last week our wonderful, if noisy builder, Sam, moved to France for a year with his family. And no, I didn't drive him away with my complaining. I am almost sure they had planned to go anyway...

So, some weeks of quiet before the next builder arrives. And the weather changed. One morning last week I woke to a slight chill in the air, and the overcast morning cleared to an exquisitely blue sky day, tiny puffy clouds, air like champagne, and then a long afternoon of golden light with a glorious apricot sunset. Suddenly it is Autumn. The garden has woken up, and so have I. This year will be all about gardening and cooking as a restful counterpoint to the noise/ dust/ mess/ running around hunting for tiles/ bathroom fixtures/ arcane building widgets that most definitely are not in Aisle 3 as promised...

Comments

kris said…
Try aisle 5.
Jen said…
Jo, as a former Qlder who I thought would hate the cold, I remember fondly the cool crisp air in Tasmania. In NSW the cold air just doesn't have the same quality about it.

Funnily enough I seem to be most irritated by constant changes. In Brisbane it was just plain hot all year almost, a little cooler in July and August. In Tasmania it was just plain cold, with a few warm days scattered through the typical summer months. Here in mid NSW it seems to be extremely hot, like 38 for a week or so, then suddenly the temps drop to the low 20s. I just get used to one thing and it changes. So draining!

Good luck with the reno's.
Jo said…
Kris, so I have been looking in the wrong aisle all along? Silly me. You know I will be calling you in all my home renovation quandraries from now on...

And Jen, I think weather evolved with humans so we would always have something to talk about with shop assistants, and the person pumping petrol. That is why it is so changeable, because saying 'Sunny again, isn't it?' really doesn't fill in those awkward moments.

Popular Posts